Alterations and Improvements

If you are thinking of carrying out any work in your home that would be described as an alteration or improvement, please read this information BEFORE you start any work.

Depending on what you want to do we may ask for further information before we decide.  We might also insist that the work is undertaken in accordance with certain conditions.

We’re happy to discuss your plans with you and provide advice where we can, so please contact us.

A statutory Right to Compensation for Improvements scheme exists.  This means you may be able to claim back some of the costs of certain types of improvement work if you give up your tenancy at some point in future.

An alteration is where you wish to:

  • Replace a fixture or fitting, for example, kitchen units or internal doors, with items which are of the same quality or standard as those we would normally provide
  • Remove an existing fixture or fitting and not replace it. 

An improvement is where you wish to:

  • Replace an existing fixture or fitting with one which in our opinion is of higher quality than we would normally provide
  • Install an item where there is none at present, e.g. a new shower 
  • Extend the property in any way, e.g. by adding a porch

Section 5 of your Tenancy Agreement and your Tenant Handbook say you that you MUST tell us what you are planning to do, and apply in writing for our permission BEFORE you start any work.

PLEASE NOTE: Depending on the type of work, you may have to apply for Planning Consent and possibly also a Building Warrant from your local council.

To apply, please complete an application form or to obtain a paper copy of the application form, please contact our Customer Services Team on 0800 678 1228.

What about redecoration?
You do not have to tell us if you plan to redecorate using wallpaper and paint. However, you do need to tell us if you wish to use textured finish paint on any wall or ceiling (such as Artex) or if you wish to add pine panelling to a wall for example.

What happens after you’ve sent your application form?
We will acknowledge receipt in writing within 3 working days. We will then consider your proposal and if necessary, contact or visit you to obtain additional information or clarify any questions. If Planning Consent  and or a Building Warrant is required we will confirm that you must show these to us before you start the work.

How long will it take for you to consider my application?
Most applications will be straightforward and should be dealt with within 2 weeks (10 working days). Other may take longer but our aim will be to reply in writing within 28 days at the latest. If the proposal is very complicated we may need longer but we will keep you advised about when we expect to be able to reply.